Fylde take maximum points at Tynedale

Fylde opened their 2021-22 season with a convincing victory over Tynedale at Corbridge. If the drinkers at the packed Tynedale Beer Festival adjacent to the pitch looked up from their pints, and many did, they would have been impressed by the flowing rugby of the visitors who scored seven excellent tries against three from Tynedale. All the tries were scored by their backs – Tom Grimes (2), Scott Jordan (2), Tom Carleton, Scott Rawlings and Greg Smith – and they also picked up a try scoring bonus point for a maximum 5 point haul.
There were certainly a few rough edges to Fylde’s display which, given the 530 or so days since their last National Two (North) game, might have been expected. Overall, new Joint Head Coaches Chris Briers and Alex Loney were very pleased by the performance at a venue that has been a far from happy hunting ground for the Lancastrians over the years. And seven of the twenty players in the Fylde squad were making their league debuts for the Club.
It took Fylde a minute to open the scoring. Flanker Phill Mills made the crucial break and an accurate pass gave left wing Tom Grimes enough space to score in the left corner. Greg Smith converted for a 0-7 lead that, as it happened, that they never relinquished.
Tynedale came into the game in the 9th minute when a Fylde defender was caught offside and Ross Cooke slotted the resultant penalty.
Fylde’s scrummage was holding up well against the efforts of a bigger, bulkier pack of home forwards. In the 13th minute good quality scrummage ball was shipped smartly along the Fylde backs and enough space was created for debutant Scott Jordan to score in the right corner. Greg Smith was unable to add the extras from the touchline but his side had a clear 3-12 advantage.
The Fylde backs were looking especially penetrative and in the 18th minute their top try scorer in recent seasons, Tom Carleton, got in on the act when he burst through to score under the posts. Smith made it 3-19.
Fylde took their collective foot off the gas for a period and their discipline faltered. Prop Matt Ashcroft was shown a yellow card for an offence and Tynedale won a few penalties which temporarily stalled the visitors advance.
Fylde picked up their pace again and in the 27th minute another fluent move amongst their backs and a clever switch resulted in centre Scott Rawlings exploiting an overlap and scoring in the right corner. Smith converted and Fylde were stretching away at 3-26.
Tynedale picked up the pace and intensity of their game and centre Will Miller scored his side’s first try on the half-hour. It was converted by fullback Cooke and the deficit had been reduced to 10-26 and this was how it stayed until the half-time interval. It had been an entertaining 40 minutes but if they wanted to make it easier for themselves then Fylde would have to reduce the number of penalties being conceded.
Three minutes into the 2nd half, another powerful break downfield by Phill Mills almost led to a try by Scott Jordan. From the resultant penalty conceded by Tynedale, Greg Smith’s kick was on target for a 10-29 lead.
In the 52nd minute after pressure in the Fylde half, no 8 David Fairbrother was sinbinned for a technical offence. However, Fylde defended well and pushed the home side back up the field. The relief was temporary as Tynedale exploited their extra numbers and experienced lock Chris Wearmouth drove over the line to score.
The normal pattern of the game was restored in the 58th minute through a great running play, with excellent support from multiple backs resulting in Scott Jordan notching his second try in the right corner to extend the lead to 17-34.
In the 69th minute Greg Smith showed that there’s more to his game than goal kicking as he cantered over the line for a try, and he converted this for a 17-41 score.
To their great credit, Tynedale heads didn’t drop and they came back again to score their third try through fly-half Matty Outson to reduce the deficit to 24-41.
However, fittingly, the last act of the entertaining match was another splendid running try by Fylde finished off by winger Tom Grimes. Smith converted and ended up with a personal match haul of 18 points.
From the first minute to the last, Fylde were in front and never really looked in danger. Their attacking play was outstanding but another three or four opportunities for tries weren’t converted. They will have to sharpen up in one or two areas before facing Loughborough Students at the Woodlands on Saturday (ko 15.00). But considering the continuing improvement week on week, there’s little doubt that this young talented squad will follow the wise guidance of their coaches.
Joint Head Coach Chris Briers gives a quick reaction after the match.
15 Ross Cooke; 14 Seamus Hutton, 13 James Clarke (Blair Hutchison 52), 12 Will MIller, 11 Jay West, 10 Matty Outson, Jack Outson (Adam Todhunter 57); 1 Dan Lowden (Adam Moloney 25), 2 Dave Batey (Ed Craney 72), 3 Liam Carmichael (Dan Lowden 52), 4 Graeme Dunn (c), 5 Chris Wearmouth (Jonny Cousin 72), 6 Jonny Cousin (Tom McCullough 69), 7 Henry Wainwright, 8 Ben Bell.
15 Tom Carleton (Marcus Blake 31); 14 Scott Jordan (Adam Lanigan 65), 13 Tom Forster, 12 Scott Rawlings, 11 Tom Grimes; 10 Greg Smith, 9 Matt Sturgess; 1 Zach Barrow, (Sam Kyle-Clay 52), 2 Ben Gregory, 3 Matt Ashcroft (Tane Bentley 52), 4 Olli Parkinson (Ben O’Ryan 64), 5 Matt Garrod, 6 Marcus Blake (Corey Bowker 31), 7 Phill Mills, 8 David Fairbrother (Zach Barrow 69).
A view of the massive Tynedale Beer Festival
Tom Carleton was chosen as Fylde’s Man of the Match.
Fylde President Anthony Hoskisson and Susan Garrod lead the travelling Fylde support.

About Allan331