Big defeat for Fylde at Tynedale

By October 7, 20181st XV, Latest News, Match Reports, News

Fylde were run ragged by Tynedale at Corbridge and suffered by far their heaviest defeat of their first season back in National Two (North). Conceding nine tries (eight by backs) and scoring two represented a very bad day at the office for the visitors.

Fylde started the game in fine fashion with an excellent trade mark Tom Carleton try in the first minute. He caught the opening kick-off and ran it back and through a startled Tyne defence for a superb try. Greg Smith converted and the Lancastrians had a 0-7 lead. Tynedale hit back in the 9th minute when hooker David Batey drove over from a powerful maul for his side’s first try, converted by fly-half Jake Rogers.

In the 13th minute Smith kicked Fylde into a 7-10 lead with a penalty goal. Tyne replied with some sustained pressure in the Fylde half and in the 20th minute centre Will Miller scored. Rogers converted for 14-10, a lead that his side never relinquished. Fylde flanker Ben Vernon picked up a nasty head injury as a result of this move and was taken to hospital to be replaced in the backrow by Sam Dugdale. Fortunately, Vernon was discharged later in the evening.

It was in the last ten minutes of the 1st half that Tynedale ran away from their visitors with three tries without response. Firstly, Jake Rogers stepped his way past some indifferent tackling to score under the posts and he converted his own try. This was followed in close order by tries by the ever dangerous Newcastle Falcons dual registered winger Morgan Passman and then by centre Jonathan Burden. Rogers converted two of the tries to give his side a 33-10 lead at the interval.

It was more of the same early in the 2nd half with Passman notching his second unconverted try. Fylde responded quickly when a neat movement ended with hooker Ben Gregory scoring in the corner. Greg Smith was unable to add the extras but the deficit had been reduced to 38-15.

Fylde’s defence this season has been generally fierce and effective. This wasn’t the case in this game. In the 62nd minute, the productive Rogers was seriously injured and the game was held up for a long period whilst he was attended to before being stretchered off and joining Vernon in hospital.

On the resumption, things got no easier for Fylde as Tyne scored three more tries. Winger Guy Pike was on the end of a pass in the 68th minute to get the touch down. Fylde’s cause wasn’t helped when Henry Hadfield was sinbinned for a high tackle against one of his old club’s players. The 14 men ended the game badly by conceding  another two tries by Pike for his hat trick inside 10 minutes. Final score 57-15.

Fylde Head Coach Warren Spragg said: “We need to be better than that if we want to compete at the top end of this league. We were poor defensively and didn’t have the spark in attack that I expect from this group of players. We picked up a number of injuries so will have to assess the squad but whoever plays next week against Peterborough Lions has a big responsibility to put things right and get us back to winning ways.”

Fylde drop one place in National Two (North) to 6th.

FYLDE: 15 Tom Carleton; 14 Henry Hadfield, 13 Chris Briers, 12 Connor Wilkinson, 11 Tom Grimes; 10 Greg Smith, 9 Adam Lanigan; 1 Adam Joyner, 2 Ben Gregory (Ewan Ashman 46), 3 Cal Ford (Elliot Horner 32), 4 Nick Ashcroft, 5 Olli Parkinson (Matt Garrod 52), 6 Harlan Corrie, 7 Ben Vernon (Sam Dugdale 21), 8 David Fairbrother (Ben Gregory 76).

Non-playing replacement: Luke Fowden.