Hawks edge Sedg

By September 30, 2018Hawks, Latest News, Match Reports

Last season, Hawks’ games against Sedgley Park 2nds always proved to be very frustrating affairs. Sedge won all four games and finishing a respectable 3rd in the Premier League. The Hawks this season have had a better start to the season (P4 W3 L1) than Sedge (P4 W2 L2) and travelled to Park Lane in a confident mood.

The Hawks elected to receive the ball at KO. Sedge pressed hard for the first 10 minutes and, after a loose pass on the Hawks right wing, Sedge intercepted and scored a try which was not converted, Score 5 – 0. Was this performance going to be a repeat of last year’s games v Sedge?

With some positive messages from captain Torkington, the Hawks ensured they played to the game plan.  In the 15th minute, Bavou making his Hawks debut, crossed the try line. Pearson took the kick for the conversion. Despite both touch judges raising their flags, the referee over ruled the decision and didn’t award the points. Score 5 – 5.

The 22nd minute saw Macaulay score a try, successfully converted by Pearson. Score 5 – 12

The Hawks now had control of the game which allowed Torkington to score a try in the 27th minute, and replacement Evans popped up on the wing in the 38th minute to score another, with Jones converting. Score 5 – 24

HALF TIME:        5 – 24

At half-time, the forwards and backs split for initial discussions before Orwin set some objectives for the second half. It was clear that the Hawks felt that, whilst in a winning position, they had much more to give.

In the 56th minute, Whitehead crossed the try line with a great crash ball through the Sedge defence, Pearson again successfully converting. In the 30th & 60th minutes Sedge had two players yellow carded.

The Hawks remained in full control of the game, with Whitehead notching his second try of the game in the 70th minute, successfully converted by Foster. In the 78th minute, clearly noting the Tom Fox run from last week, Whalley-Hunter broke through the middle of the field and started a 40-metre burst – he did state in the changing rooms that he thought he’d run at least 100 metres but that’s a forward for you. With several Sedge players trying to catch him, and almost bringing him down with an ankle tap, he successfully crossed the white line to score a try. Score 5 – 43.

FULL TIME:         5 – 43.

Compared the last year’s games against Sedge, this was clearly a great improvement and credit to the Hawks players. To be fair, whilst Sedge had two yellow cards, this didn’t represent the spirit in which the game was played.

A special mention to Ilisoni Bavou who made his debut for the Hawks today and scored a try. Also thanks to his two children whom carried water on for the team.

Next week, The Hawks are back at Sedge for a Cup game!!!  Please get to Park Lane and support the Hawks.


Oliver Parkinson, Blake Wilkinson, Craig Whalley-Hunter, Will Atkinson, Tom Steer, Illisoni Bavou, Luke Clitheroe, James Torkington ©, Kyle Macauley, Henry Pearson, Jake Foster, Brett Whitehead, Dan Jones, Fraser Stanier, Sam Fisher, Tom Fox, Seb Smith, Ryan Evans.


Ian Pearson (Manager), Dan Orwin (Head Coach), Laura Jenkinson (Physio), Evie Turner (Video).