The Hawks at Sedgley Tigers: match report

Sedgley Tigers 2nds v Fylde Hawks: match report

Saturday 30th September saw the Fylde Hawks travel to Sedgley 2s who had had a good start to the season playing 3 games, winning 2 against Waterloo and Macclesfield and a loss against Chester.  The previous Saturday saw the game cancelled v Sale 2s at the last minute.

The Hawks, still struggling to kick start our season, travelled with a very strong squad of 18.

A downpour for 45 minutes prior to the game made it difficult for both games to complete a thorough warm up without the need for wet suits but by KO the pitch had drained well enough for a 3pm start.

Sedgley kicked off the game, with a slight advantage of playing down a slight gradient and the wind behind them. After 3 minutes, Sedgley scored a try and converted, chalking up a score of 7 – 0. Over the next three minutes, the Hawks attacked the Sedgley defence and, after some fantastic handling, saw Matthew Bargh sprinting down the right wing and over the white line to score his first try of the season. The conversion was missed. Sedgley then replied with four tries and three conversions before Karl Capstick crossed the try line on the 39th minute. Jake Foster converted.

Half Time: Sedgley 2nds 33 – 12 Fylde Hawks.

The second half gave Fylde Hawks play with a slight downhill advantage and, with a few tactical changes, the Hawks camped in the Sedgley half for long periods. However, handling and decision making errors allowed the Sedgley defence to stop the Hawks momentum and slow the game down. In the 60th minute, Andy Stevens crossed the try line on the right wing, although the conversion was missed.

The Hawks continued to apply pressure on the Sedgley defence but were unable to make the effort count to score another try and obtain a bonus point.  The fulltime score was Sedgley 2nds 33 – 17 Fylde Hawks.

Congratulations to Sedgley 2nds on the win in what was a close and entertaining game in extremely difficult conditions. Thank you too for the hospitality before and after the game.

MOM: Gregor Aitken.

Fylde Team:

T Fox, A Stevens, A Preston, K Capstick, O Parkinson, W Atkinson, T Beresford, G Aitken (C), J Green, J Foster, S Fisher, D Jones, M Bargh, C Williams, T Perrin, C Scrivens, M Capstick, B Pearson.

Support Crew:

Ian Pearson, Paul Moran, Sinead *, Ashleigh*, Jon* ( * 1st Aiders from UCLan)



Next Game v Sale FC 2nds on Saturday 7th October. DON’T FORGET, its FREE entry to watch the Fylde Hawks. Please support the players and let’s see if we can get a bumper crowd down.