Game of two halves in first outing for Fylde Hawks.

The Fylde Hawks travelled to old friends and rivals, Firwood Waterloo 2s on Saturday 2nd September on what was almost perfect rugby conditions. The team travelled with 17 players, after a late unavailability from Zack Coultas on Saturday, whom was suffering from an abscess. Tom Benstead was called upon from the Vandals on Friday evening, due to the reshuffle with Adam McCarthy being selected to the 1st Team.

The first game of the season is always going to be challenging and with a host of new team members, players needed to play in anger and against a competitive team, to understand each others’ strengths and weaknesses. This game was clearly going to demonstrate all those points.

The first half saw Waterloo take an early lead, with a try and conversion on 5 minutes. The Hawks replied with two tries and one conversion by the 21st minute. In the next 19 minutes until half time, Waterloo became dominant and scored 3 tries, but failed to kick any conversions. Half time score Waterloo 22 Fylde 12.

Half time allowed the Hawks coaching team to highlight the quality within the team and the first half was clearly not our best performance.

Unfortunately, the second half started as the first half finished, with Waterloo scoring two quick tries, although only one was converted. The score after 44 minutes was Waterloo 34 Fylde 12.

Whilst the Hawks clearly had a game plan, which was not working until then, then belief, ability, perseverance and fitness started to show. The Hawks started to move the ball around the pitch, without the handling errors seen in the first 44 minutes. Over the next 36 minutes the Hawks scored an impressive 40 points, with the full-time score being Waterloo 34 Fylde 52.

In the second half, the Hawks played the final 20+ minutes with only 14 players as Josh Oldland had to leave the pitch with an elbow injury and Lewis Pattison was taken off with a broken wrist.

Scorers for the Hawks were Sam Fisher, Jamie Griffin,Gregor Aitken, Torky, Jake Foster, Tom Berresford.

Man of the Match: James (Torky) Torkington.

Captain: Gregor Aitken.

Brief post-match interview with Gregor Aitken & Paul Moran distributed via Twitter:

@FyldeHawks Post Match interview with victorious captain Gregor and Assistant coach @pmoran4812 #RunItFylde @fylderugby

Playing Squad: Josh Oldland, Andy Stevens, Alex Preston, Connor Scrivens, Jamie Griffin, James Torkington, Jack McCutcheon, Gregor Aitken (C), Jake Christmann, Jake Foster, Sam Fisher, Lewis Pattison, Dan Jones, John Taylor, Tom Perrin, Tom Beresford, Tom Benstead

Support/Coaches: Dan Orwin, Paul Moran, Ian Pearson, Jo Snook, Henry Pearson

Report by: Ian Pearson (Fylde 2s Team Manager).