Chester 2s were really at the races …

Fylde Hawks played Chester 2nds on Saturday 23rd September at the Woodlands. Chester have had a great start to the season having beaten Caldy 43-23, Sedgley Park 45-19 and Macclesfield 71 -15.

The Hawks have had a mixed start to the season, with an exciting group of young players, many being called upon for 1st team duties to cope with the injury issues, playing exciting, fast and attacking rugby, learning their trade in a highly competitive Premier League.

Chester kicked off the game and straight from the KO, crossed the white line for a try and converted for the extra 2 points. Within 28 minutes, Chester had 35 points on the score board. Fylde Hawks did cross the try line with Sam Patterson driving over the line, which was converted by George Brookes. Half time came, the score Hawks 7-49 Chester 2nds.

The second half continued in much the same way as the first half and, whilst the Hawks showed some really good defensive play for short period, the speed and power of the Chester team resulted in the game finishing Fylde Hawks 7-95 Chester 2nds.

Clearly, this was not a great result for the Fylde Hawks and, whilst the changing room after the game was not a pleasant environment, this is a season long campaign. With the young talent we have, this was a sore lesson that we all learn from as a team/squad. Training this week will be intense.

Congratulations must go to the Chester team, whom played some fantastic rugby and thank you to the Chester coaching team, whom where very supportive and gracious after the game. A true sign of what the rugby community is about.

Fylde Hawks Team:

Andy Stevens, Luke Woodward, Josh Oldland, Connor Scrivens, Gregor Aitken (C), James Torkington, Tom Beresford, Jamie Griffin, Jake Christmann, Josh Melvin, Stanley Graham, Sam Patterson, Matthew Bargh, Sam Fisher, George Brookes, Alex Preston (FR), Tom Benstead, Christian Williams

Support Team:

Ian Pearson, Paul Moran, Henry Pearson, Richard Blackburn Chloe Wisdell.

NB. Huge thanks must also go to the supporters whom turned out to watch the game. Although not our finest hour, the Hawks did appreciate the support.

Our next home game is on Saturday 7th October v Sale FC 2nds and we hope that we can see more supporters at the Woodlands shouting for the Hawks.

Report by: Ian Pearson